Monday, February 7, 2011

Morning Glory




I am not a morning person. I naturally don’t wake up until around 9. Due to my job, I have to get up around 5:30. Then, I hit snooze and actually get up at 5:45 when my alarm goes off again. I don’t talk until I get to work, so needless to say, I’m not hungry that early in the morning either.

Therefore, fore with, and how fore, breakfast is not my favorite meal of the day. The foods you have for breakfast are not my favorite and I’m just not in the mood for it. But what is the most important meal of the day? Say it with me people: BREAKFAST! One of my doctors told me one time that I should eat like a king (or queen) for breakfast, a prince(ss) for lunch and a peasant for dinner. Yeah, I’m more of the opposite. I just like dinner food better.

So Sunday morning I’m trying to eat good stuff for breakfast and it totally blows up in my face. A name brand yogurt that will remain nameless because I don’t want to get sued (but let’s just say has a familiar celebrity spokes person if you like horror films) has a cherry flavor with 20 grams of sugar!!!!!!!!! Per serving. Doctors say you should get 40g of sugar on a 1600 cal diet.*I should have known, because that first bite tasted AWESOME! Of course, I didn’t look at the nutrition label before I bought it. I just thought it would be good for me to eat and didn’t think that it would have double the amount of sugar that a regular human is supposed to have in a day. Lesson learned: Always check out the nutrition label, even if you think something is “healthy.”

I think what I’m going to have to do is start actually getting up at 5:30 (Gasp!) and making myself breakfast. I’m going to copy Michelle and start making oatmeal. I’m going to mix in some low fat peanut butter to add taste (I don’t believe oatmeal has any) and some protein. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Now for something completely different----Michelle and I have decided to make this somewhat of a competish. She who loses the most gets some sort of prize. We just decided today that whoever loses the most by February 14th, 2012 receives a plane ticket to wherever she wants to go. However, we can’t go over $400. We both love to travel, so this is perfect for us. Sadly, it would also take us a year to save $400. We will also check in each week to see how each other is doing. That being said, our family is very competitive. Don’t play rook with us and don’t come watch an Alabama football game with us. So, there’s no way I’m letting my baby sister win this.

I’ve got my game face on!!!!


*My source: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/reduce-your-sugar-intake-0



2 comments:

Mom said...

Laura, I make a egg white omelet with spinach or if I don't have spinach, I use green and red bell pepper. Delish!!! Also, I bought Quakers multi-grain oatmeal - no sugar, no fat. I put just a little Splenda brown sugar on it for flavor and it is also wonderful - healthy and MUCH less sugar than yogurt. Love you and Michelle...You both are beautiful to me!

Trent Lucas said...

Hey Cousin,
I hope you don't mind me sharing some stuff on your blog. I think its great what all of you are doing. The goals and great and i'm glad you are sticking with it.
This is what i normally eat for breakfast:
2 Hard boiled eggs
1 Great Value light yogurt
1 Banana
1 Oatmeal package / special k bar
i will sometimes substitute a bowl of cereal for the oatmeal, but its not as healthy. I know that sounds like a lot of food, but i work out in the mornings, so i need the energy after workouts, plus it keeps me from being so hungry the rest of the day. I have had weight problems for Air Force ROTC standards, so i have a good amount of experience with losing weight. My diet completely controls my weight, i can work out all day long, but if i don't eat right i gain weight, its a curse. Keep up the good work.

Cousin Trent

Post a Comment