Thursday, February 24, 2011

Take that, carbs!

This entry is mostly unimportant and I was going to post it last night, but, as usual, my memory is about the same as a gold fish's memory, I forgot.

Last night, Alyssa and I had laundry to do and we usually go to the laundry mat that is next to a local tex mex/"americana?" restaurant. Before I started my "new lifestyle" (how many times do I use quotes in one day?), I found a burrito they serve there to be AMAZING. It's got all sorts of goodness on the inside and is covered with queso and salsa on the outside. So, knowing these factors, I knew that I could not order this amazing treat without losing myself to guilt and shame...and, let's face it, delicious fattyness. Instead, I ordered the blackened talapia tacos. This entree comes with cole slaw, black beans, and rice. I was apprehensive about the cole slaw, mostly because I know generally what's in it and I don't really like cole slaw, but when my food came out I tried it and it was sooooo good. Knowing that I would probably be eating the cole slaw, I did something surprising. Something I have never done in my lifetime:

I got rid of the taco tortillas and the rice. In the back of my head, I could hear my mother yelling,"WHEAT NOT WHITE, WHITE NOT WHITE!" And knowing that these tortillas were not wheat and the rice was not brown, I gave it away and didn't eat them. Also, I couldn't even eat that much before I got full and had tasty leftovers for lunch.

This may seem like such a small matter to anyone else, but I really felt accomplished. Three or four weeks ago, even the day before yesterday, I wouldn't have been able to do that. It felt really good knowing I can.

Love and wheat,
MICHELLE

1 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY!! go you. thats awesome.

hit me up if you need a grocery shopping buddy.

Post a Comment